So, yesterday morning I woke up bright and early for the Jonesborough Parks and Recreation 5K in Jonesborough, TN. This is a historic city town in TN, actually it is labeled the "oldest town in Tennessee". It is VERY old...and VERY cute :)
The race was through the historic downtown area, so I thought that it would be a fun race.
I usually don't set goals when I race small races, because I really do them more for fun and scenery, than anything else. However, I had been noticing a downward slip to my 5K times, and I was a little disappointed in myself. I knew that I could do better!
So, I set my goal for a sub 25 minute time. I knew that if this was going to be possible I would have to maintain a faster than 8 minute mile pace the whole time.
It was tough because the course was a little hilly. There were ALOT of uphills...but with every uphill, there seemed to be a pretty good downhill as well. So, that helped me keep up with my pace throughout the race.
Another thing about the race was that it cost $20, which I thought was a little steep for such a small casual race. It paid off in the end though ;)
Here were the final results:
Mile One: 8:14
Mile Two: 7:54
Mile Three: 8:07
FINAL TIME: 24:16
Thats right kiddos...I BEAT MY GOAL TIME!!!
And even better, I got first place in my age group! and won this....
oh yeah...and THIS
A MIO Motiva Petite Pink Heart Rate Watch. Pretty cool huh?! I guess I ended up getting my $20 worth!
I looked up some info on the watch for those of you who are interested. And I will be doing a review of this product, after I have used it a little bit.
The MIO Motiva Petite Pink features:
- On demand, ECG accurate heart rate, without a chest strap
- Patented calorie management system that allows users to track calorie intake throughout the day and calories burned during exercise, against a daily calorie target.
- Visual indicator of exertion level
- Percentage of maximum heart rate display
- Can be used with the MIO 3500 Calorie Club program.
- Heart rate recovery timer.
- Five (5) exercise timers: Count up, Count down, Count up with warm-up, Walk/Run, and Repeat.
- User accessible battery hatch.
- Interchangeable watch band with colors to fit your every mood (BONUS band included).
- BONUS: MioSense Guide to healthy living
Also the watch itself can display SO MUCH:
- Display time, date, weekday and your name or initials on the screen.
- You can set a daily alarm.
- You can enter your calorie intake and it will also display your net calorie intake.
- The watch also features an exercise timer for workouts and other activities, 5 timer modes including counting up from zero, counting down from zero, count down to zero and then count up, walk and run timer, and count down to zero then repeat.
- Measure your Heart Rate Recovery – a good indicator of fitness level.
- Measure and display your Resting Heart Rate.
- You can set your personal data and weight managment goals.
PLUS it came with this cute little bonus strap, that I just LOVE
I already own a Garmin, that I use ALL THE TIME when I run outside. But, I think that this watch will be better for the gym. Its smaller and works better for indoors workouts that aren't limited to just running. I'll be sure to let you guys know what I think about it!
So, overall I think it was a pretty successful race. Cute area and good scenery, I PRed, won a trophy, AND won a mio pink motiva petite.
RACE SUCCESS! :)