Every year the city that I live in has a HUGE festival for the first weekend of June, called the Blue Plum. Don't ask me why...I have no idea! Anyway, its always TONS of people, TONS of drinking, and TONS of fun. And on top of all that fun they throw in a 5K on Saturday morning!
Now, I am going to start out by telling you that I had NO intentions of running this race. And here were my reasons why:
- I usually don't like short distance races, because they are too fast for me. I would much rather run long distances and keep a nice pace, then flat out sprinting for 3 miles! VERY intimidating!
- The race was scheduled for 9 AM...I was scheduled to be into work at 10AM
- I had already planned on taking advantage of the before mentioned "TONS of drinking" the night before
I guess that little part of me decided to jump on out when I accidentally asked my cousin Matt (who runs races with me usually) if he wanted to run with me on Saturday. I was kind of hoping that he would say NO, but he was SUPER enthusiastic about it. So, I got myself stuck.
You would think that knowing I had to wake up at 8AM for the race, I would have taken it easy last night. Yeah, you would think. I managed to only have a few beers, but my cousin and my roommate had a few more than that...which meant we didn't get home until after 2AM in the morning.
A brief 6 hours later, I was up, lacing up my running shoes, and pinning on my race tag.
My cousin Matt and I ready to run!
30 minutes after that I was standing at the starting line wondering if I could make it without falling asleep mid-stride.
The announcer came up to the start, mumbled something about the race...the which the guy beside me mumbled to me "so basically just start running when everyone else does, right?" Yep, he had it figured out.
Annndddd we were OFF! And let me just tell you it was HORRIBLE!! And here is why in a nice bulleted outline:
- wayyyy tooo fasssttt!!! haha. maybe I am just a weakling, but I am just not good at short, fast distances (like I mentioned) I am much more comfortable with long, steady distances. When we started out I ran the first mile in 7:32. Again, WAYYYY TOOOO FAAASSSTT! And the thing was I kept telling myself it was too fast, but for some reason I didn't slow down! haha
- It got HOTT and HUMID quick.
- those beers I drank the night before were NOT helping me in the least
- headphones were not allowed. this was the first time that I had ever ran without headphones. AWFUL! I had to listen to the people beside me breathing all heavy and worrying if they were gonna pass out right beside me! This makes me nervous. And nervous running = no good.
I didn't get to stay for the official results since I had to be at work so I was anxious all day to find out my time and placing.
As soon as I got home I jumped on the computer to check the results...I was rrrreeealllyyy hoping for a time of under 25 minutes and was SUPER bummed when I saw that my official time was 25:04.
However, the "bummy-ness" quickly turned around when I clicked on the link for age group placings. And saw this:
Place O'All Name Bib# Age City St Time ===== ===== ========================= ==== === ===============
1 120 Emily Harvey 486 24 25:04
2 151 Ashlee Jenks 197 24
3 196 Jessica Jones 550 20
Yep thats me! FIRST PLACE IN MY AGE GROUP!!! :)
I have never placed in a race before AND this was a PR time for me. So I guess all in all it wasn't so bad after all! And I am sooo glad that I decided to do it and not back out because of stupid reasons! In the end I bit the bullet, took the challenge, and came out on top. And even though I barely missed my goal of under 25 minutes, I still couldn't be happier with the race!
No its nap time and then another night out for Kelli's 21st! Hope everyone has a great weekend!