Friday, October 1, 2010

2nd Half Marathon!!

Hey everybody! So, its been awhile again. But, to be honest there has not been much to write about lately.

Since the last time I updated, I have just been training to run my second half marathon. Honestly, I was kind of dreading it. I hadn't really trained as hard as I did for the first marathon that I ran (6 months ago) because with grad school and two part time jobs, I didn't really have the time.

However, it was the very first half marathon that my home town had put on, so I felt like I had to represent!!

I woke up on the morning of the race and it was POURING the rain. I would have backed out if it hadn't of been for my AMAZING boyfriend. He got up at 6AM with me (even though he was just spectating and not running) and really motivated me to get up and go for it!

Once we got there it was still raining. And I'm not just talking a little rain. I'm talking DOWNPOUR! I was still dreading the race, because it was cold and wet, so Mike and I were standing under an awning by the start line while we waited, so I could stay dry for a little while. I was trying to stay dry for too long, thought, because as we were standing there just talking the gun went off!!!

That's right...I was the VERY last one to cross the start line, because I was putting it off for so long! haha.

I sprinted to get to the start...and the race began.

My little sports photographer got some pretty good pictures...

half marathon2010 001

Here I am standing under the awning, trying to stay warm

half marathon2010 002

Mike standing at the three mile mark...notice the rain!

half marathon2010 003

He spotted me coming up on the three mile mark

half marathon2010 004

He told me that he would be waiting at the three mile mark, so I could get rid of my hoodie if I wanted. YES I DID! It was about 10 pounds because it was soaked with water!

half marathon2010 005

This is at about the 6 mile mark...almost half way done!!

half marathon2010 007

This is after about 8 miles and still going good!!

half marathon2010 008

Here I come about the cross the finish line!!!

half marathon2010 009

FINISHED!!! 13.1 miles. I DID IT!!!!

half marathon2010 011

He said "give me your race pose". haha.

I ended up doing a lot better than I thought! I ran the whole thing without having to stop and was hardly even tired when it was over! I never really hit a wall and the rain was FUN! Even thought I did not PR at this race, I was still soooo happy with how I did.

I ended up finishing in 2:03, which I was kind of disappointed with because I didn't break 2 hours. However, I did get a late start and I was worried about burning out, so I didn't really push myself too hard.

Here are the splits:

Mile One: 9:09

Mile Two: 9:29

Mile Three: 9:17

Mile Four: 9:35

Mile Five: 9:00

Mile Six: 9:09

Mile Seven: 9:01

Mile Eight: 9:15

Mile Nine: 9:37

Mile Ten: 9:31

Mile Eleven: 8:57

Mile Twelve: 9:15

Mile Thirteen: 8:50

A little slower than usual, but like I said I was still pretty happy with it considering that I hadn't really trained  that much for it. The course was really well laid out for the first year, and the rain just made it even more fun, splashing around in the puddles and mud.

Well, until next time...I hope everyone has a great week!

<3 Ems.

2 comments:

  1. congrats on a great race! it would be really hard with all that rain, but i think you did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your time is amazing. I'm trying to beat my time and it's only 2:45. LOL. You are awesome. Plus you look hardcore running in the rain :)

    ReplyDelete